ESCOP produces publications on the quality, safety and efficacy of herbal medicines in Europe. The ESCOP monographs provide the evidence base for clinical use of herbal medicinal products. They are an invaluable source of scientific information on herbal medicines to health professionals, academics, researchers, regulators, manufacturers, and many others.
ESCOP herbal monographs (available for online consultation and instant download)
Since 2011, the ESCOP monographs are published online individually. This format facilitates its updating, considering the increasing amount of new scientific information. It also allows users to choose only those monographs that interest them.
The monographs follow the format of the Summary of Products Characteristics (SPC), wich is a part of the application for marketing authorisation of a medicinal product in the EU.
Structure of the ESCOP’s monographs
1. Definition, acording the European Pharmacopeia
2. Main constituents
3. Clinical particulars
– Therapeutic indications
– Posology and method of administration
– Special warnings and special precautions of use
– Pregnancy and lactation
– Effects on ability to drive and use Machines
– Undesirable effects
4. Pharmacological properties
– Pharmacodynamic properties
– In vitro and in vivo experiments
– Pharmacological studies in humans
– Clinical studies
– Pharmacokinetic properties
– Pharmacokinetic in animals
– Pharmacokinetic in humans
– Preclinical safety data
– Acute toxicity
– Chronic toxicity
– Mutagenicity, carcinogenicity, teratogenicity amb embriotoxicity
– Clinical safety data
Currently they are available in two ways:
– Subscription to online viewing (only read on screen)
- General public: subscription to online viewing monographs (€ 30 / year)
- Registration form for members of societies belonging to ESCOP (free access)
- Access to the monographs (with username and password)
– Download individual monographs, batches or the complete collection (pdf format).
Join our mailing list if you would like to receive email alerts when new monographs are published, along with details of discounts and special offers.
ESCOP Printed Publications
ESCOP Monographs, published as a hardback book in 2003 with a Supplement in 2009, has been widely acclaimed for its authoritative information on the therapeutic uses of herbal medicines. Monographs covering a total of 107 herbal substances include extensive summaries of pharmacological, clinical and toxicological data, and copious references to scientific literature form an important part of each text. read more